This tolerance, far more than afforded by most other colonies, led to better relations with the local native tribes and fostered Philadelphia's rapid growth into America's most important city.
Penn planned a city on the Delaware River to serve as a port and place for government.
These societies developed and financed new industries, attracting skilled and knowledgeable immigrants from Europe. The city remained the young nation's largest until the late 18th century, being both a financial and a cultural center for America.
Philadelphia's importance and central location in the colonies made it a natural center for America's revolutionaries. In 1816, the city's free black community founded the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME), the first independent black denomination in the country, and the first black Episcopal Church.
Before Penn left Philadelphia for the last time, he issued the Charter of 1701 establishing it as a city.
Though poor at first, the city became an important trading center with tolerable living conditions by the 1750s.
The Philadelphia skyline is expanding, with a market of almost 81,900 commercial properties in 2016, The city is known for its arts, culture, and colonial history which attracted 42 million domestic tourists in 2016 who spent US.8 billion, generating an estimated billion in total economic impact in the city and surrounding four counties of Pennsylvania.
In the 1860s, the United States government sent most Lenape remaining in the eastern United States to the Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma and surrounding territory) under the Indian removal policy.
In 1681, in partial repayment of a debt, Charles II of England granted Penn a charter for what would become the Pennsylvania colony.
Despite the royal charter, Penn bought the land from the local Lenape to be on good terms with the Native Americans and ensure peace for his colony.
In 1644, New Sweden supported the Susquehannocks in their military defeat of the English colony of Maryland.
In 1648, the Dutch built Fort Beversreede on the west bank of the Delaware, south of the Schuylkill near the present-day Eastwick neighborhood, to reassert their dominion over the area.