The area of Berkeley was at this period mostly a mix of open land, farms and ranches, with a small though busy wharf by the bay.
It was not yet "Berkeley," but merely the northern part of the "Oakland Township" subdivision of Alameda County.
What is now Berkeley lies mostly in the portion that went to Peralta's son Domingo, with a little in the portion that went to another son, Vicente.
In 1876, a branch line of the Central Pacific Railroad, the Berkeley Branch Railroad, was laid from a junction with the mainline called Shellmound (now a part of Emeryville) into what is now downtown Berkeley.
That same year, the mainline of the transcontinental railroad into Oakland was re-routed, putting the right-of-way along the bay shore through Ocean View.
The De Anza Expedition led to establishment of the Spanish Presidio of San Francisco at the entrance to San Francisco Bay (the Golden Gate), which is due west of Berkeley.
Luis Peralta was among the soldiers at the Presidio.