In January 1934, that institution was officially named Wayne University, taking its name from Wayne County in which the University and the City of Detroit reside, as well as Major General "Mad" Anthony Wayne.
Continuing to grow, Wayne University added its School of Social Work in 1935, and the School of Business Administration in 1946.
In 1985, the School of Fine and the Performing Arts, and the College of Urban, Labor, and Metropolitan Affairs grew the university further.
In the 2000s, WSU has been aggressive in constructing new buildings, including the Integrative Biosciences Center (IBio), a 207,000-square-foot facility fir interdisciplinary work in the biosciences.
Estimates are not comparable to other geographic levels due to methodology differences that may exist between different data sources.
Some estimates presented here come from sample data, and thus have sampling errors that may render some apparent differences between geographies statistically indistinguishable.
In 1920, after several re-locations to larger quarters, the school became the Detroit Teachers College.
The Board of Education voted in 1924 to make the College a part of the new College of the City of Detroit.
This eventually became the Wayne State University College of Education.
Wayne University was renamed Wayne State University in 1956 and the institution became a constitutionally mandated university by a popularly adopted amendment to the Michigan Constitution in 1959.
The Wayne State University Board of Governors created the Institute of Gerontology in 1965 in response to a State of Michigan mandate.