Such an absence of beauty in a collection of human beings we never witnessed.
There were about thirty women and children in the room and we counted no fewer than twenty-six of deficient intellect.
Little Moor Council School was built on the old workhouse site in 1891, now replaced by housing. The relatively generous treatment of the inmates made it an expensive place to run — bills in 1772-3 included ones from suppliers of cloth, milk, butter, malt, groceries, veal, beef and mutton, items which would not have been available to those on out-relief. a week to Hannah Sowden for agreeing to leave the workhouse. In 1841, the location was refererred to as Workhouse Fold.
At the rear of the workhouse was prison where miscreants were locked up until the constables could escort them to the New Inn at Bradford to be dealt with by a magistrate.
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] A parliamentary report of 1777 recorded local workhouses in operation at North Bierley and Bowling (for up to 70 inmates), Allerton (30), Calverley with Farsley (40), Clayton (20), Heaton (8), Idle (60), Pudsey (60), and Thornton (30).
Pudsey's provision for housing the poor dates back to at least 1639 when the churchwardens and overseers were ordered to provide "howseroome and harbour" for Stephen Braithwaite and his wife (Strong, 1982).
The building no longer exists but a plaque from the original building has been preserved at the site. Allerton had a workhouse near Allerton Hall in a property known as Dean House. The operation of the new union was overseen by a Board of Guardians, 17 in number, representing its 16 constituent members (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): Allerton, North Bierley, Calverley with Farsley, Clayton, Cleckheaton, Drighlington, Heaton, Hunsworth, Idle (2), Pudsey, Shipley, Thornton, Tong, Wilsden, and Wyke (or Wike).
It reads "Sir Walter Blackett at his own Expence built this Workhouse in the year 1756." Calverley former parish workhouse (at rear), 1934. At the 1841 census, the population of the area covered by the new union had been 62,432 with parishes and townships ranging in size from Bolton (population 683) to Pudsey itself (10,002). Initially the new union continued using the old Idle township workhouse, which was a dismal place by all accounts.